Do you have a hard time falling asleep at night? Do you wake up feeling tired?
I will share some simple strategies that can help you fall and stay asleep at night:
1) Avoid Eating - Try to refrain from eating before bed time. Give your body at least 3 hours to digest a big meal before you hit the sack. Eating before bed can give you heartburn, indigestion, and leave you feeling bloated with digestive upsets. Meanwhile, if your stomach is grumbling, this is a sign that you should probably have a snack before bed. If you must snack, try to make it a healthy one - grab an apple, or some fresh vegetables to tie you over until the morning hours.
2) Avoid Stimulating Activities - Stimulating activities include watching TV, playing around on your cell phone, and bright lights. Dim lighting can help set the mood for a good night's sleep. Read a book before bed or journal to help get things off your mind and relax!
3) Avoid Caffeine - Be wary of consuming caffeine after 2pm in the afternoon. Caffeine is a stimulant and it takes about 8 hours for it to clear from the system.
4) Exercise - This is one thing you do not have to avoid! :) Try to get about 20 minutes of moderate exercise each day, while avoiding vigorous exercise in the evenings.
5) Sleep Routine - The human body loves routine! Try to stick to a set sleep schedule - this will train your body to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. Going to bed before midnight each night is ideal.
If you are looking for additional ways to improve your sleep, you can book a FREE 15-minute consult or an appointment with me by calling 613-761-1600 or visiting the Hampton Wellness Centre website. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me: email@example.com
Ashley Kowalski is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor in Embrun, Cornwall, and Ottawa. She is currently accepting new patients.